Who cares about Black Friday? Well, I love getting a good deal… you know, online & in the comfort of my own home, but I don’t like to brave the crowds unless I am doing it for a good cause like supporting a San Diego Small Business!
On November 25, The Voyageer Instagram stories is featuring a few of my very favorite San Diego shops. Every year I make the rounds during Small Business Saturday and purchase some gifts for my loved ones and a few things for myself, too. Check out an extensive but not exhausting list below, with asterisks on businesses I will feature on Instagram.
Without further ado, in ABC order:
A16 Outfitters – A camping and outdoorsman gear shop that has been a staple in the market since the 1960s.
Aloha Beach Club* – Beachy vibes abound, great gifts for men. Locations in North Park and on Oahu.
- Adams Avenue Book Store – Doesn’t look like much from the street but is packed wall to wall with used books, including some rare ones.
- La Playa Books – “Mostly used, some new” books located deep within Point Loma.
- Verbatim Books – Charming used book store conveniently located on 30th Ave in North Park.
- San Diego is famous for its local craft beer scene. Bring a pack of cans or a growler for your friend hosting a holiday get together. For under the tree, a shirt, hat, or other piece of merchandise will bring a smile to a microbrew enthusiast’s face.
- Bottlecraft* has three locations (North Park, Little Italy, Liberty Station) where you can choose from a massive selection of craft beer.
- A few brand suggestions include Alesmith, Coronado, Helm’s, Little Miss, and Modern Times.
Communal Coffee – One of SD’s most instagrammed coffee shops, a gift card would not run amiss. You can also pick up home decor items and fresh flowers.
Dark Horse* – My favorite San Diego coffee roaster hands down, and cool, funky merch. Locations in Normal Heighs, North Park, and Golden Hill.
Gold Leaf* – Home-centered gift shop with an excellent kids’ section. Gold Leaf will be partnering with me on my first Voyageer giveaway in December!
Graffiti Beach* – Cute clothes for women and gifts, gifts, gifts.
Liberty Public Market – A wonderland of food and drink in a rehabbed former military mess hall.
Moniker General* – Stocking a well curated selection of daily carry items, home items, and [mostly men’s] clothes and accessories including:
- Bradley Mountain – A local company that creates canvas and leather goods like backpacks, wallets, duffel bags and more.
- Tethermade – Handmade catchalls of varying sizes, good for any corner of your home.
Personal Care – A gift certificate to freshen up for the New Year is always in style. I go to Electric Chair Salon in Ocean Beach, and my husband goes to Lefty’s Barber Shop in Pacific Beach every month. Don’t forget that nail salons are usually small businesses as well!
Pigment* – San Diego’s preeminent gift shop, selling plants, home goods, party supplies, and kids’ stuff.
- Cow – I’ve been getting records at Cow in Ocean Beach for over 10 years.
- Lou’s Records – Treat yourself to a drive up the coast to my favorite record store.
- M-Theory – Widely regarded as one of the best record stores in San Diego
Villainous Lair – Comics and Games for the proud nerds in your life.